When I completed my second reading of The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, I found I had highlights on almost every page. It's a thought-provoking book that is perfect for solo travelers.
From the book cover:
Paulo Coelho‘s enchanting novel has inspired a devoted following around the world. This story, dazzling in its powerful simplicity and soul-stirring wisdom, is about an Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago who travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried near the Pyramids. Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles in his path. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasure found within. Lush, evocative, and deeply humane, the story of Santiago is an eternal testament to the transforming power of our dreams and the importance of listening to our hearts.
I offer you 10 reasons for solo travelers to read The Alchemist:
- “Your personal legend” is the theme of the book. This is your destiny, that which you have always wanted to accomplish.
- The central character is a solo traveler. He confirms that it's OK to be unsure of yourself as long as you keep pursuing your personal legend.
- It teaches you to turn down the negative noise in your life.
- It focuses on the individual and the pursuit of individual dreams as making a positive contribution to the “Soul of the World”.
- It shows that obstacles to one's personal legend are merely obstacles, not blockades.
- It challenges you to think about your own personal legend.
- It explores the meaning of “living the dream”.
- It encourages you not to delay the living of your legend.
- It emphasizes constant learning.
- It has been read by world leaders and translated into 67 languages. It's considered an important read.
I hope you'll read The Alchemist and enjoy. Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.