Life is not lived on “if only's and “what if's.
Last week I saw “Death of a Salesman” and the above sentence formulated in my head. Our sad main character, Willie Loman, blamed others for his past failings yet pinned his future on their support. He didn't understand life. He couldn't take responsibility for it, nor could he control it.
Yet we must. And, of course, this got me thinking about travel. If we want to travel, whether short term or long, only we (you) can make it happen. This post is for those who need a little encouragement to stop dreaming and start going.
How to Travel – Really Go Travel – in 7 Easy Steps
- Dream. This is important. Dream. Dream wildly. Don't think just in terms of a bucket list. Dream about the kind of travel you want to do. Solo travel? Food travel? Volunteer travel? Dream about how long you want to travel or how often. The bigger the dream the better your travels.
- Talk. Tell people about your travel dreams, what you want to do and why. The more you explain it to others the more real it will become to you. As you talk you'll better understand why you must go and, having put it out into the world, there will be a bit of pressure to act. You can even ask people to help keep you on track to your dream. You can make yourself accountable to them for realizing your travel dreams.
- Schedule. Carve out the time that you need. You may only need your regular vacation days or you may need a leave of absence. Be creative and you can negotiate what you require in life. (Oh, did I say life, of course, I meant travel?) Read: How to Find More Travel Time – 15 tips
- Save. Here are 12 ways to save money for travel. You don't have to cut out lattes unless you want to. This is just a solid how-to approach to saving cash for travel. Read: How to Save Money for Travel. You'll also want to save money in your planning phase and as you're on the road. Check out our entire Travel Money Tuesdays section but especially How to Get the Best Deal on Flights, Save on Hotels? Yes You Can with These 10 Tips and Travel, Eat Well and Save on Food.
- Research. Expand your dream by reading the Destination section of Solo Traveler. Thanks to dozens of our readers, we have posts on hundreds of destinations – all recommended by solo travelers. You'll discover, through others, just how fantastic your trip will be.
- Plan. Bare-bones logistics is all you really need (though I respect those who pull together more). You need to know how you'll get there, where you will stay the first night and how you will manage your money. Beyond that, planning is all about your comfort level. Read: Solo Travel Planning: Inspiration, Orientation, Perspiration
- Pack & Go. Always have your passport ready. Pack light to make things easier. Buy your plane/train tickets. Book your accommodation. Go. Read: Bare Minimum Packing, Bare Minimum Packing: Urban and Luxury Travel and Bare Minimum Packing – Travel Gear!
Other posts on how to travel solo.
- 10 Things I Love to Do When I Travel Solo
- Life-Changing Travel: How to Take the Best of Your Travels Home
- A Road Trip Alone: be prepared with these 10 tips.
- Our 32 Tips Section with free and low-cost tips on many destinations
- Solo Travel Safety: 20 Common Sense Tips
- Solo Travel Deals