What stops you from making your solo dream trip a real trip?
Dreaming about travel is one thing. Living travel is quite another. When we receive emails from people hesitant to act on their solo dream trip, we hear:
- questions about whether they can handle themselves on a solo trip safely
- concern about getting lost
- worry about the planning stage and whether all the details will be covered
- fear of being lonely
- anxiety about eating alone in a restaurant
People raise a variety of different issues. What they are really asking is how to turn their travel dreams into travel reality. How to get up off the couch from watching travel shows to being out doing the travel themselves. How to go from what is called an armchair traveler to a real one.
Here are seven steps to get you from travel dreaming to living the travel dream.
From Dream Trip to Real Trip
- Of course, start by dreaming. This is important. Dream. Dream wildly. Don't think just in terms of a bucket list. Dream about the kind of travel you want to do. Solo travel? Yes, but what else? Food travel? Volunteer travel? Dream about how long you want to travel and how often. The bigger the dream the better your travels. Read:
- Solo Travel Quotes for Inspiration & Motivation There are so many inspirational quotes about travel. Here is a list of our favorites to get you inspired.
- Choosing a Travel Destination: Where Do You Find Inspiration? When choosing a travel destination, inspiration can come from many sources. Art, history, music, books, films, tv: solo travelers share what inspires them.
- Why Travel Solo? It’s Not Just about the Trip Musings, memories, and lessons learned, along with links to helpful and inspirational posts: some personal thoughts on solo travel.
- Culinary Travel Experiences Around the World You can learn a lot about a destination through its cuisine. Here is a selection of our culinary travel experiences around the world.
- Solo Hiking: What You Need to Know to Hike Alone Solo hiking requires a bit more thought. Here’s what you need to know to hike alone plus tips for packing, gear, and great destinations.
- Solo Travel Europe: Photos by Readers Enjoy these Europe photos, all contributed by readers of Solo Traveler and members of the Solo Travel Society from their various trips.
- Talk. Tell people about your solo dream trip, what you want to do, and why. The more you explain it to others the more real it will become to you. As you talk, you'll better understand why you must go and, having put it out into the world, there will be a bit of pressure to act. You can even ask people to help keep you on track to your dream. You can make yourself accountable to them for realizing your travel dreams.
- Schedule. Carve out the time that you need. You may only need your regular vacation days or you may need a leave of absence. Be creative and you can negotiate what you require in life. (Oh, did I say life? Of course, I meant travel!) Read:
- How to Find More Travel Time – 15 tips In the Reader’s Survey you told me that time was the second biggest reason you couldn’t travel more. Here are some tips for finding more travel time.
- Solo Travel for a Career Break: Tips and Resources for Long-term Trips Career breaks are life-changing. Here’s your guide to the why and how of long-term travel plus tips and resources to make your solo dream trip happen.
- Save. We have all the information you'll need to save money for, on, and while traveling. Read:
- How to Save Money for Travel: Top Tips to Help You Save What have we learned about money while travel has been on hold? Here are 14 tips to help you save money for travel so you’ll be ready when the time comes.
- How to Save on Solo Travel: Simple Travel Hacks Cheap solo travel tips to help you save on solo travel. How to save on tours, the cost of your money, with points redemption drops, and more.
- Get the Best Deals on Flights: Here’s How A lot has changed in the airline industry and flight booking. Here’s what you need to know to get the best deals on flights now.
- Free Accommodation: Try a Home Exchange Have you considered a home exchange as a way to reduce travel accommodation costs? Experienced home exchangers offer tips and advice.
- Save on Hotels? Yes You Can, with These Tips You want to book a hotel cheap but not a cheap hotel. Here are my top tips to help you save on hotels, whether luxury or budget, as you travel solo.
- Take Your Membership Benefits on the Road: 11 Ways to Save Take your membership benefits on the road – the ones you have purchased to use at home might have great value when you’re traveling as well.
- Research. Expand your dream by reading the Destination section of Solo Traveler. Thanks to dozens of our readers, we have posts on hundreds of destinations – all recommended by solo travelers. You'll discover, through others, just how fantastic your trip will be. If you haven't already, join the Solo Travel Society, our Facebook community. You will be part of a group of more than 250,000 solo travelers around the world who ask questions and share tips, advice, and encouragement about travel every day.
- Plan. Bare-bones logistics is all you really need (though I respect those who pull together more). You need to know how you'll get there, where you will stay the first night, and how you will manage your money. Beyond that, planning is all about your comfort level. Read:
- Solo Travel Planning: Detailed Guide for Planning a Solo Trip So you’re planning to travel alone. Here are the keys to great solo travel trip planning plus plenty of convenient resources.
- Culinary Travel: Top Tips for Food and Wine Travel Planning A bit of research can really pay off for solo travelers who enjoy the culinary side of their trips. Here are Tracey's best tips for food and wine travel planning.
- Best Accommodation for Solo Travelers What’s the best type of accommodation for solo travelers? Something reasonably priced since you’re paying the whole bill. Here are 8 options.
- Backpacking Solo: Your Complete Guide for a Great Budget Trip Backpacking solo is about the most exciting type of travel you can do. Here’s how to plan your trip, buy your backpack, pack it and more.
- Luxury Solo Travel: Planning Your Trip of a Lifetime If luxury solo travel is your desire, the sky is the limit! Here are some tips to help you plan your luxurious dream trip.
- Pack & Go. Always have your passport ready. Pack light to make things easier. Buy your plane/train tickets. Book your accommodation. Go. Read:
- Bare Minimum Packing Packing lists are the key to packing light. Most people have trouble with this but, in my opinion, it’s an important skill for the solo traveler. Here’s how to do it.
- Checked Baggage: Top Planning and Packing Tips Checked baggage is a completely different game than carry-on – and it’s about more than weight restriction. Here are tips to help you avoid checked bag problems.
- Travel Gear: Essentials for Solo Travelers Travel gear. It can be fun. It can also weigh you down. Here are travel gear recommendations from your fellow solo travelers.
- Going Alone? A Complete Guide to Travel Insurance for Solo Travelers Where to buy and not buy travel insurance. How to make sure you get the right coverage and a price comparison of two recommended insurers.
- VPN for Travel: What, Why and an Easy Setup Guide Here’s why you want a VPN for travel, what to look for in a VPN service, and an easy guide to setting up a VPN on your phone, computer, or tablet.
For more on making your solo dream trip a reality, consider joining the Solo Traveler Insiders.