Summer is upon us. And while many solo travelers plan their trips for the shoulder or off-seasons to save, there are options for cheap solo travel in the summer as well.
Fortunately, I've never met a destination I didn't like. What this means to me is that just about any travel to any destination will make for enjoyable, enriching solo travel.
The keys to budget solo travel in the summer are:
- Planning a trip close to home so that your budget is not blown getting there.
- Avoiding typical bucket list destinations as they are usually expensive as well.
- Finding free things to do when you're there. Read Solo Travel with Fabulous Travel Freebies
- Being aware of all the benefits of membership at home that could be available as you travel as well. Read Take Your Membership Benefits on the Road: 11 Ways to Save
- Being creative with everything from accommodation to meals. Read Save on Hotels? Yes You Can, with These Tips and Travel, Eat Well and Save on Food
Now, let's get on to some suggested destinations and some posts that will help you make the most of each.
Small Town Solo Travel Tends to be Cheaper
Unless there's a specific attraction in a small town, these secondary destinations tend to be less expensive than the big cities. Based on my experience you'll also find friendly people, exceptional restaurants and activities that slow down the pace a bit.
- Solo Off the Beaten Path: 7 reasons to small town travel
- Top Tips for Prince Rupert: The Best of Small Town Travel
- Solo Travel Destination: Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Solo Walking: the South West Coast of England in Photos
- A Taste of Hershey Harrisburg
- Road Trip: The Backroads of Emilia Romagna, Italy
- Licensed to Create: Finding Life-Work Balance Traveling Solo
For Cheap Summer Travel, Try Solo Camping
I wouldn't do interior camping on my own – that's hiking or canoeing into the forest and camping on wild sites – but I do car camp on my own. I know, many people don't consider this camping but I find it relaxing when all I have to do all day is hike, swim, read, eat, do the dishes, make a fire, relax and sleep. Here are few posts to guide you to super cheap and cheerful getaways.
- 7 Things that Happen When You Do Nothing
- 10 Lessons Learned from a Solo Camping Trip
- Adventures in Glamping: Georgian Bay, Ontario
- Arizona Road Trip: first feelings, findings and photos.
- Solo Camping: Tent or RV?
- Camping Alone – Protected by a Code of Ethics
Take a Solo Road Trip
To keep a road trip cheap and cheerful, travel from friend to friend or family member to family member or camp along the way. The first post below helps you plan for a successful road trip. Whatever your plans, make sure you take breaks now and then to really see, hear and absorb the landscape.
- A Road Trip Alone: be prepared with these 10 tips.
- Best Solo Road Trips: 10 Routes, All Solo Traveler Tested
- Road Trip Ontario: Views, Food and a Bit of Romance
- A Solo Canadian Maritimes Road Trip
- Border to Border in Alberta: A Western Canada Road Trip
- The Meaning of Landscape: road trip through the American Southwest
Bucket List Cities Traveled Cheap
Whether it's New York, London or Paris, major city destinations are tempting but can also be very expensive. Fortunately, we have a number of them covered in our 32 Tips series of posts to help make these destinations cheap and cheerful getaways. Remember, you don't have to stay in the center of the city where it's most expensive to enjoy all that it has to offer.