I hope I'm not cheap. I don't think so. But I am very careful with my money and it is for this reason that I've been able to travel my entire life.
From the age of 15 when I saved $475 to go on a cycling tour for one month in the UK (flight included and I was earning $1.25 an hour at the time) to today, I save my money to travel.
Yesterday I received an email asking me how people do it. How can they afford to travel. That's when it occurred to me that, though I've approached budget-minded travel from many angles, I've never put it all into one place. So that's what I've done. Below are links to all the budget travel information I've written. I hope it is of help:
Saving money before you travel solo.
- Saving Travel Money: funding your passion for travel
- How do you save the money to travel? Here are 10 tips to help. Continue reading →
- Money and Travel: when to make and when to break the budget
- Money. Here's an interpretation of money that could help you travel more. Continue reading →
- Cheap Holidays = More Holidays
- Sometimes, a deal is about more than saving money. It's about rich experiences – and the prospect of more travel. Continue reading →
- Solo Travel: 6 luxury tips you can’t afford to miss
- Solo travelers are often stung by the price of a little luxury. Here, luxury travel expert Sarah Lee shares here travel planning tips for luxury on a budget. Continue reading →
- Travel Alone and Save Money: The Solo Travel Society Makes Recommendations
- Here I called upon the ingenuity of the Solo Travel Society for ideas on how to save money while traveling solo – and then added a few of my own tips. Continue reading →
- Cracking the Travel Points Code
- Are you collecting points but not sure the best way to spend them? This points experts gives us some pointers. Continue reading →
- Solo Travel: Budget your trip
- Travel dreaming is wonderful. Travel budgeting, not so much. Follow these tips to get the most from your travels without painful bills after the fact. Continue reading →
Travel deals from tour companies.
- Solo Traveler Advisory
- Click on the link above (or here) and sign up for the Newsletter and you'll receive the Advisory on the third Monday of every month in your inbox. All promoted deals have no single supplement.
- Deals Page
- The Solo Traveler Deals page is exclusively for tours, cruises and other forms of organized travel with no (or very low) single supplement or for which the single supplement is not an issue.
- Single Supplement Waived: Music to the solo travelers ears.
- Single Supplement Waived is the key term that solo travelers look for when buying a packaged vacation. Here's how to find them. Continue reading →
Tips to save money while your travel solo
- The Sweet Spot for Solo Travel: the question of “when”.
- The off season and shoulder seasons: a perspective on the best time to travel. Continue reading →
- 30 Cheap Tricks for Solo Travel
- Lots of great ideas to help you travel large on a small budget. Continue reading →
- 10 tips to travel solo large on a small budget.
- There are lots of ways to save money on travel. From flights to accommodation to tours, this post provides resources and strategies to travel large even on a small budget. Continue reading →
- 8 Ways to Find a Free Local Travel Guide
- My friend and the fellow from Lavalife.I’ve heard of many creative ways to get a local to be your travel guide but my favorite is by a friend who had a yearning to go to Iceland. She is the inspiration for this post. Her unconventional way to get a free travel guide demands a write-up. Continue reading →
- Accommodation and the Distance of a Dollar
- You asked for it. In the Reader Survey you asked for more ways to save money when traveling. Here's just one way I'm responding. Continue reading →
- Free accommodation: try a home exchange
- Did someone ask for free accommodation? Here's how to be successful at a home exchange. Continue reading →
- Solo travel by flashpacking: cheap travel with a few perks.
- Flashpacking is travel on the cheap with perks. Here are 7 tips gained from a 7 month flashpacking trip around the world. Continue reading →
Budget solo travel by destination
- Solo Travel in London: Chic & cheap
- Hostels don't have to be utilitarian and boring. Here are three hostels in London that have style written all over them and make London affordable for the solo traveler. Continue reading →
- Recommended: Travel Solo to Japan on a Budget
- This post about Japan on a Budget was requested by a reader of Solo Traveler who plans to travel solo to Japan in the next month. If you have a specific travel post request, please send it to me and I'll do my best to find a knowledgeable writer on the subject. Continue reading →
- Travel Itinerary: The Philippines Solo & on a Budget
- Ever thought of going to the Philippines? One of our readers is going next month and, on her request, I found Dave, a travel blogger on the road for five years, to write this post. Continue reading →
- We have posts on all sorts of destinations with some tips for saving money here.
And if you still can't afford to travel solo…
- Travel on the Cheap: Toronto film festival reviews
- 10 Films, 8 countries in 5 days. Here are trailers and reviews of the films I saw at the Toronto International Film Festival. Continue reading →