Cheap solo travel means more solo travel.
At least that’s the way I look at it.
I like luxury now and then but I really like getting the most out of my hard-earned, hard-saved travel dollars. This is why I’ve been able to travel my entire life.
From the age of 15 when I saved $475 to go on a cycling tour for one month in the UK (this price included my flight – I was earning $1.25 an hour at the time) to today, I carefully manage my money to travel.
I have received emails asking me how people do it. How can they afford to travel?
That’s when it occurred to me that, though I’ve approached budget-minded travel from many angles, I’ve never put it all into one place. So that’s what I’ve done here.
Below are links to all the budget travel information I’ve written. I hope it is of help.
Saving For Solo Travel
- How to Save Money for Travel: Top Tips to Save Here are 14 ways to save money for travel. No advice to cut lattes. No talk of shorter showers. Just a solid how-to approach to saving cash for travel.
- Solo Travel Mistakes + Travel Money Mistakes and How to Avoid Them Traveling solo is a wonderful experience but you, alone, are responsible for your safety. Here are over 40 travel and money mistakes and how to avoid them.
Travel Deals from Tour Companies
- Deals Page The Solo Traveler Deals page is exclusively for tours, cruises, and other forms of organized travel with no (or very low) single supplement.
- Solo Traveler Advisory Click here to sign up for the Newsletter and you’ll receive all the listings on the Deals page in your inbox on the 2nd Monday of every month.
- Solo Travel: 10 Tips to Avoid the Single Supplement “Single Supplement Waived” is the key term that solo travelers look for when buying a packaged vacation. Here’s how to find them.
Advice for the Planning Stage
- How to Plan Your Solo Travel Budget – On Any Budget Travel budgeting made easy with 2 practical approaches followed by 8 steps and a spreadsheet for your personal solo travel budget.
- Best Budget Destinations for Solo Travelers: the 2019 Shortlist I’ve scoured many lists of budget destination recommendations and come up with a shortlist of top destinations for safe, budget solo travel in 2019.
- The Sweet Spot for Solo Travel: The Question of “When” The off season and shoulder seasons: a perspective on the best time to travel.
- Backpacking Solo: Your Complete Guide for a Great Budget Trip Backpacking solo is about the most exciting type of travel you can do. Here’s how to plan your trip, buy your backpack, pack it and more.
- Book and Travel Without a Credit Card: Top Tips No credit cards? No problem. Here’s how to travel without a credit card and, bonus, it will help you stay within your budget.
Tips to Save Money as You Travel Solo
- Save Money on Travel: 32+ Tips Here are dozens of ways you can save on travel. Whether you seek luxury, adventure, creative, or budget travel, here’s how to save and travel more for less.
- Luxury Travel on a Budget: 32 Tips You Need to Know From accommodation to celebrity chef restaurants – cheap solo travel does not necessarily preclude luxury. 32 tips for luxury travel on a budget.
- Take Your Membership Benefits on the Road: 11 Ways to Save Take your membership benefits on the road – the ones you have purchased to use at home might have great value when you’re traveling as well.
- Travel Money: All Your Options For Managing Cash and Cards While Traveling Lots of tips on how to manage your money, keep your cash and cards safe and avoid ATM and foreign exchange fees as you travel.
- 8 Ways to Find a Free Local Travel Guide Unconventional ways of finding a free local guide.
- Save on Hotels? Yes You Can, with these Tips You want to book a hotel cheap but not a cheap hotel. Here are my top tips to help you save on hotels, whether luxury or budget, as you travel solo.
Budget Solo Travel Tips by Destination
- Solo Travel London on a Budget: Top Tips for Free and Cheap Budget London tips for free, cheap, and unique things to do. Where to stay from budget to luxury to hipster. Where to eat, how to use the Tube, and more.
- Best Places to Stay in London: Accommodation for Solo Travelers Wondering where to stay in London? From luxury to mid-priced to budget accommodation here are recommended hotels, B&Bs and hostels.
- Affordable New York City: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips Budget New York City? Yes, it is possible. Here are top tips for free and low-cost ways to enjoy this spectacular city and make New York affordable.
- Affordable Sydney: 32 Free & Low-Cost Tips Natural beauty, culture, food… Sydney is a fantastic destination but it comes at a price. Here are budget Sydney tips to make this city affordable.
- Budget Chicago: 32 Free and Low-Cost Tips Here’s what you need to know to stay, explore, eat, and enjoy Chicago on a budget. Another in our series of posts for the world’s most expensive cities.
- Solo Travel Paris on a Budget: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips Yes there is such a thing as Paris on a budget. Here are 32 free and low-cost tips that will help you save money in Paris while seeing the highlights and enjoying the local scene.
- Affordable Kauai – 32 Free and Low-Cost Tips Is it possible to go to Kauai on a budget? It’s a challenge to find to be sure but you’ll save lots with these 32 free and low-cost tips for cheap solo travel.
- Budget Accommodation in Kauai: Four Ways to Stay It’s still possible to get budget accommodation in Kauai. Here are reviews of four ways I cut the cost of accommodation on the Garden Island of Hawaii.
- Affordable Toronto: 32 Free and Low-Cost Tips Toronto is a big city and can be expensive. But it doesn’t have to be. Here are our tips for free and low cost things to do in Toronto.