Now that 2021 has drawn to a close, I am looking back at what we delivered on Solo Traveler last year and extracting our most popular solo travel posts..
By any definition, it was a challenging year. Like many people, neither Janice nor I were able to travel much. Without travel experiences to share, we turned our efforts to updating tips posts so they will be waiting for you when you're ready to travel, writing posts specific to the times we are living through, and delivering great content and experiences for members of our Solo Traveler Insiders program.
For a small monthly fee, Insiders receive invitations to a monthly Speaker Series as well as access to our library of video interviews with travel industry experts and extraordinary solo travelers. We share personal stories that don't make it onto the blog, give away free travel resources and host monthly virtual meet-ups which have given us a great opportunity to chat directly with readers. If you haven't already, please join us–there's much more to come in 2022!
And all year long, day in and day out, I enjoyed interacting with the more than a quarter million members of the Solo Travel Society on Facebook. Solo travelers around the world ask questions, offer advice and encouragement to one another, and I post articles and items of interest two to three times a day.
A lot of new content was created on Solo Traveler this year. We published at least twice a week: most of the posts were written by us, some were contributed by readers. In a normal year, we would have many more posts written by members of the Solo Traveler community, but because travel was restricted for much of 2021, we received far fewer submissions. We would love it if you would like to contribute a post about a solo trip to a destination you enjoyed. Perhaps you traveled domestically last year–maybe even a staycation in your own city–or maybe you went further afield. Wherever and whenever you travel alone, you can submit your story and photos here.
I took a look at the statistics, first for new content published in 2021, then articles published in the years of 2010-2021 combined, to compile top ten lists of our most-read articles, as decided by you. Here they are.
The Top Solo Travel Posts of 2021
These were the most-read new posts that were published for the first time on Solo Traveler in the last year.
- Solo to Walt Disney World: A First Timer’s Complete Guide
Self-professed theme park super fan, NikkyJ lays out everything you need to know to plan a solo trip to Walt Disney World.
- Awkward Solo Travel Situations: How to Have Fun and Be Safe
Solo travel is fun, empowering, enriching. However, there are also awkward solo travel situations. Here’s how to manage them.
- Solo Travel Pakistan: Hunza, Lahore & Islamabad
Two different experiences of solo travel in Pakistan from Solo Travel Society members who visited different parts of the country.
- Travel Planning 2021: Essential Information to Protect You & Your Money
Travel is not what it was. Here’s your guide to travel planning in 2021 with essential information to protect you and your money.
- How to Plan Your Travel Wardrobe for Comfort and Style
Here’s how to create a travel wardrobe that is stylish and comfortable. Capsule wardrobe and color palette planning for urban travel.
- Return to Solo Travel: Travel Companies Tell Us What’s Next
As travel companies rebuild and prepare for a return to solo travel, they tell us what they have in store for solo travelers.
- How to Take a Great Selfie and Why
Here are 8 tips for taking great selfies. Selfies are important in life as well as in solo travel. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
- Circumnavigating Nova Scotia: A Solo Road Trip of Ocean Views
Here’s our itinerary for circumnavigating Nova Scotia – a road trip with ocean views, friendly people, interesting history & delicious seafood.
- It’s Dangerous! You’ll be Lonely! Solo Travel Myths and Misconceptions
Solo travel myths have a surprisingly long life. Here are 8 common ones that Solo Travel Society members are tired of hearing.
- Get the Best Deals on Flights: Here’s How
A lot has changed in the airline industry and flight booking. Here’s what you need to know to get the best deals on flights now.
The Most Popular Solo Travel Posts of All Time
Taking into account all visits to the website since January 2010, these are the top 10 most-read articles on Solo Traveler.
- 45+ Solo Travel Destinations for Christmas and New Year’s
While you may be taking a nearcation this year, here are plenty of future solo travel destinations for Christmas and holidays to come.
- A Road Trip Alone: Top 10 Tips to Prepare
Ah, the open road. Taking a long road trip is fun but doing so alone requires a bit of planning. Here are the tips you need to know.
- Travel Alone and Love It: 50 Tips for Successful Solo Travel
When you travel alone, you travel on your terms. Here are 50 of our best tips, plus links to additional resources to ensure solo travel success.
- Worst Jet Lag Ever – Symptoms, Remedies & Prevention
Jet lag can be a serious problem. Here are jet lag symptoms, remedies and tips for prevention plus over 100 comments from other travelers.
- Bare Minimum Packing: Here’s Your Packing List
Here’s your packing list for traveling light. From organizing your clothes to technology, gear and medication. This is what you need to know.
- Best Budget Destinations for Solo Travelers
After reviewing many lists of budget destination recommendations, here is our shortlist of top destinations for solo travelers on a budget for 2021. (Updated annually.)
- Solo Travel to India: 32 Tips You Need to Know
Let us help you to make the adventure of solo travel to India a little bit easier with this great set of tips.
- Find a Travel Partner: Safe Options and Some to Avoid
There are safe and not quite so safe ways to find a travel partner. Here are my concerns, safety advice and suggestions for finding a travel companion.
- Solo Travel Europe: 32+ Tips You Need To Know
So you’re going to Europe solo. What do you need to know? Here are the basics with great tips from readers of Solo Traveler.
- Tips for Those Who Struggle to Keep a Travel Journal
A travel journal can be your most treasured souvenir from a trip. Here’s the best journal app plus old-school tips for writing and keeping a great journal.
Resource Pages on Solo Traveler
In addition to the new posts that we publish each week, we have a number of resource pages that we add to over time. Each one is dedicated to a specific travel topic. Here are the 5 most popular pages from the last year.
Solo Travel Tours: Deals for Solo Travelers Updated Monthly
As a service to our readers, we produce and update this list of solo travel tours, cruises, and other travel products with no or very low single supplements every month.
Solo Traveler Insiders
The Solo Traveler Insiders offers members more travel-related content, more opportunities to connect with fellow solo travelers, and more access to Janice and me through a membership program. Enjoy our monthly Speaker Series, exclusive content, regular meetups, discounts, giveaways, and more.
Solo Travel Statistics and Data
Since starting Solo Traveler in 2009, we have gathered an extensive amount of solo travel statistics and data as well as demographic and psychographic information on solo travelers.
Solo Female Travel: Advice from Women Who Know
Solo female travel can be a bit of a challenge if you've not done it before. That's why we've put together this category specifically for women who want to travel alone. It's designed to point you to the most relevant information for female solo travelers.
Solo Travel in Your 20s & 30s: Budget, Luxury & Gap Year Tips
Traveling solo in your twenties and thirties is a life-altering experience but it can also be daunting. Here is a guide to hundreds of posts offering solo travel tips and advice and an overview of the most enriching experiences that solo travel can offer.
To see what readers were most interested in over the last few years, here are the most popular solo travel posts from 2018 – 2020.
Top 10 Posts of 2020
- 16 Best Poems About Travel and Life
Here are 16 of the best poems about travel. Some raise questions, others share the joy of travel, and still others remind us not to take it for granted.
- Solo Female Travel Safety: Answering a Stranger’s Question-Or Not
The Solo Travel Society weighs in on solo female travel safety and what to do when asked the question, “Are you by yourself?”
- What to Do When You Can’t Travel
For those times when you can’t travel, and especially during the current crisis, here are ways to embrace the spirit of travel from home.
- Planning an Amtrak Trip on a Tight Budget: Solo Train Travel
How I planned my Amtrak trip on a tight budget. The criteria, process, stumbling blocks, and the big change of plan to get the trip I really wanted.
- Will I Ever Be Able to Travel Again? What Will it be Like?
I fell in love with travel decades ago. My only real obstacle was money. And then came the Coronavirus. So, what will travel be like now?
- El Camino de Santiago Solo: A Life-Altering Walk
A solo traveler shares her story of walking the Camino Frances route of El Camino de Santiago and what she learned over 800 km and 37 days.
- 50 Road Trip Songs: The Ultimate Solo Playlist
With input from readers and friends, along with my own favorites, here are 50 road trip songs to add to the soundtrack of your next solo journey.
- Solo Travel Bloopers: At Least They’re Funny Now
Travel doesn’t always go according to plan. Here are some of the solo travel bloopers Janice and I have experienced, the stories we tell our friends.
- Travel and COVID-19: A Missive from Morocco
A fabulous trip to Morocco and a return home full of questions given the circumstances around travel and COVID-19. It’s a saga.
- First Time Camping Solo: Basic Gear and Packing List
Your first time camping solo may seem complicated. Let’s simplify things. Here’s the basic gear you need plus a handy packing list.
Top 10 Posts of 2019
- Top 10 Films about Solo Travel
Here are the top 10 films about solo travel according to members of the Solo Travel Society. You’re sure to find something to inspire you here!
- Perspectives on Male Solo Travel
There’s not a lot out there specifically on male solo travel, so Tracey asked the men of the Solo Travel Society: What is your primary reason for traveling solo?
- How and Where to Travel to Avoid the Crowds
You want the best travel experience. You don’t want the crowds. Here’s a backgrounder on overtourism and how and where to travel to avoid the crowds.
- Learn a New Language the Easy Way for Richer Travel Experiences
After fits and starts learning French, Janice tried Babbel. 15 minutes a day over time really works. Here’s her experience.
- Solo Travel Destination: Copenhagen, Denmark
Three solo travelers, three different experiences in Copenhagen: one on a quick layover, one with more time to explore, one with 3 weeks to take it all in.
- Dublin, Cork & Galway: Exploring Ireland Solo
Tracey has never felt so welcome in any destination as she did while exploring Ireland. Here’s an overview of her trip to Dublin, Cork & Galway.
- River Cruise Tips for Solo Travelers
Here are the best river cruise tips from Tracey’s recent experience as well as advice from readers to help you make the most of your solo river cruise.
- Winter Solo Travel: Destinations, Planning, and Packing
Embrace winter. Enjoy the unique activities that cold weather offers. Whether it’s city or nature travel you live, here are your winter solo travel tips.
- The Ultimate List of Solo Travel Checklists
There are many decisions to make about a trip and this list of solo travel checklists is here to make sure that you don’t miss any.
- River Cruises for Solo Travelers: A Great Option to Consider
What’s so great about river cruises for solo travelers? From covering lots of ground to doing things your way to last-minute deals, here are 7 advantages.
Top 10 Posts of 2018
- Alone at an All-Inclusive: 10 Tips for Going to a Resort Solo
- Senior Solo Travel: Don’t Let a Number Hold You Back
- Solo Travel Japan: 32 Tips You Need to Know
- Solo Travel Destination: Italy
- Japan Solo: Trip Planning Resources, Itinerary and Budget
- Solo Travel Over 50: Reasons, Benefits, Options & Safety
- Backpacking Solo: Your Complete Guide for a Great Budget Trip
- Travel Solo and Talk to Strangers
- Top Tips for Stress-Free Solo Travel
- Solo Traveler on a Solos-Only Tour