Whether 2019 was a year that you are happy to have left behind, or one that you wish had never ended, I think it's fair to say that for most of us, it was a memorable one.
We launched the Wits and Wonder Travel Course, a 7-week course on how to travel solo, delivered by email. It is designed to help with the practical aspects of travel, to assist in developing travel skills, building travel confidence, and cultivating money strategies so that you can travel more. It also points you to your youth, helping you develop your senses and the wonder you had as a child so that they may infuse your travels with new richness and fun. Hundreds of people have completed the course – or gifted it to friends or family – and the feedback has been extremely positive.
We executed the third annual Solo Travel Awards program to recognize companies that serve solo travelers well and to encourage more companies to tailor products and services to this burgeoning market. This year, we added two readers to our roster of judges to provide a balance between travel experts and casual solo travelers. The Solo Travelers Choice Award, determined not by the judging panel, but by solo travelers themselves, was also awarded in 2019. You can read about all of the winners and why the judges chose them here.
We ended the year with our Guess the Destination Giveaway. The winner hasn't been announced yet, but one lucky member of the Solo Traveler community will be going on the 8-day Blue Danube River Cruise for Solo Travelers with Riviera River Cruises.
And all year long, day in and day out, I enjoyed interacting with the more than a quarter million members of the Solo Travel Society on Facebook. If you're not already a member, come join us! Solo travelers around the world ask questions, offer advice and encouragement to one another, and I post articles and items of interest three times a day.
A lot of new content was created on Solo Traveler this year. We published three days a week: two posts by us, one by readers. (If you would like to contribute a post about a solo trip to a destination you enjoyed, you can submit your story and photos here.) I took a look at the statistics, first for new content published in 2019, then articles published in the years of 2010-2019 combined, to compile top ten lists of our most-read articles, as decided by you. Here they are.
The Top Solo Travel Posts of 2019
These were the most-read new posts that were published for the first time on Solo Traveler in the last year.
- Top 10 Films about Solo Travel Here are the top 10 films about solo travel according to members of the Solo Travel Society. You’re sure to find something to inspire you here!
- Perspectives on Male Solo Travel There’s not a lot out there specifically on male solo travel, so Tracey asked the men of the Solo Travel Society: What is your primary reason for traveling solo?
- How and Where to Travel to Avoid the Crowds You want the best travel experience. You don’t want the crowds. Here’s a backgrounder on overtourism and how and where to travel to avoid the crowds.
- Learn a New Language the Easy Way for Richer Travel Experiences After fits and starts learning French, Janice tried Babbel. 15 minutes a day over time really works. Here’s her experience.
- Solo Travel Destination: Copenhagen, Denmark Three solo travelers, three different experiences in Copenhagen: one on a quick layover, one with more time to explore, one with 3 weeks to take it all in.
- Dublin, Cork & Galway: Exploring Ireland Solo Tracey has never felt so welcome in any destination as she did while exploring Ireland. Here’s an overview of her trip to Dublin, Cork & Galway.
- River Cruise Tips for Solo Travelers Here are the best river cruise tips from Tracey’s recent experience as well as advice from readers to help you make the most of your solo river cruise.
- Winter Solo Travel: Destinations, Planning, and Packing Embrace winter. Enjoy the unique activities that cold weather offers. Whether it’s city or nature travel you live, here are your winter solo travel tips.
- The Ultimate List of Solo Travel Checklists There are many decisions to make about a trip and this list of solo travel checklists is here to make sure that you don’t miss any.
- River Cruises for Solo Travelers: A Great Option to Consider What’s so great about river cruises for solo travelers? From covering lots of ground to doing things your way to last-minute deals, here are 7 advantages.
The Most Popular Solo Travel Posts of All Time
Taking into account all visits to the website since January 2010, these are the top 10 most-read articles on Solo Traveler.
- Best Budget Destinations for Solo Travelers: the 2019 Shortlist Janice scoured many lists of budget destination recommendations to come up with a shortlist of top destinations for safe, budget solo travel in 2019.
- A Road Trip Alone: Top 10 Tips to Prepare Ah, the open road. Taking a long road trip is fun but doing so alone requires a bit of planning. Here are the tips you need to know.
- 45+ Solo Travel Destinations for Christmas and New Year’s Wondering where to enjoy the holidays alone? Our readers and other sources recommend 45+ solo travel destinations for Christmas and New Year’s.
- Bare Minimum Packing: Here’s Your Packing List Packing lists are the key to packing light. Most people have trouble with this but it’s an important skill for the solo traveler. Here’s how to do it.
- Travel Alone and Love It: 50 Tips for Successful Solo Travel When you travel alone, you travel on your terms. Here are 50 of our best tips, plus links to additional resources to ensure solo travel success.
- Jet Lag – Worst Case Ever There’s jet lag and then there’s jet lag!
- Solo Travel to India: 32 Tips You Need to Know Let us help you to make the adventure of solo travel to India a little bit easier with this great set of tips.
- How to Travel Alone Without Being Lonely: 10 Tips & 12 Posts Worried you’ll be lonely traveling solo? Here’s some great advice on how to travel alone without being lonely and enjoy the social side of solo travel.
- Affordable New York City: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips Budget New York City? Yes, it is possible. Here are top tips for free and low-cost ways to enjoy this spectacular city and make New York affordable.
- Solo Travel Mistakes + Travel Money Mistakes and How to Avoid Them Traveling solo is a wonderful experience but you, alone, are responsible for your safety. Here are over 40 travel and money mistakes and how to avoid them.
Resource Pages on Solo Traveler
In addition to the new posts that we publish each week, we have a number of resource pages that we add to over time. Each one is dedicated to a specific travel topic. Here are the 5 most popular pages from the last year.
- Solo Female Travel: Advice from Women Who Know Solo female travel can be a bit of a challenge if you've not done it before. That's why we've put together this category specifically for women who want to travel alone. It's designed to point you to the most relevant information for female solo travelers.
- Solo Travel Tours: Deals for Solo Travelers Updated Monthly As a service to our readers, we produce and update this list of solo travel tours, cruises, and other travel products with no or very low single supplements every month.
- Start Planning Your Solo Adventure Now! Solo Traveler is a massive resource of destination information, how-to tips, money advice and safety suggestions. We've helped over 4 million travelers get on their way.
- Solo Travel Destinations Thanks to the enthusiasm of Solo Traveler readers, including members of the Solo Travel Society, we have over 200 posts on recommended solo travel destinations, each with photos and tips from a solo traveler who has been there.
- Solo Travel Statistics and Data Since starting Solo Traveler in 2009, we have gathered an extensive amount of solo travel statistics and data as well as demographic and psychographic information on solo travelers.
To see what readers were most interested in over the last couple of years, here are the most popular solo travel posts from 2017 and 2018.
Top 10 Posts of 2018
- Alone at an All-Inclusive: 10 Tips for Going to a Resort Solo
- Senior Solo Travel: Don’t Let a Number Hold You Back
- Solo Travel Japan: 32 Tips You Need to Know
- Solo Travel Destination: Italy
- Japan Solo: Trip Planning Resources, Itinerary and Budget
- Solo Travel Over 50: Reasons, Benefits, Options & Safety
- Backpacking Solo: Your Complete Guide for a Great Budget Trip
- Travel Solo and Talk to Strangers
- Top Tips for Stress-Free Solo Travel
- Solo Traveler on a Solos-Only Tour
Top 10 Posts of 2017
- Affordable New York City: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips
- VPN for Travel: What, Why and an Easy Setup Guide
- Bare Minimum Packing – Travel Gear!
- Affordable London Update! 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips
- Best Solo Road Trips for 2017: Solo Traveler Tested
- Solo Travel Destination: Prague, Czech Republic
- Solo Travel Safety: 10 Ways to Look Confident
- Affordable Paris: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips
- How to Sail Through an Airport by Yourself
- My Big Solo Travel Safety Mistake