Whether 2018 was a year that you are happy to have left behind, or one that you wish had never ended, I think it’s fair to say that for most of us, it was a memorable one.
We executed the second annual Solo Travel Awards program to recognize companies that serve solo travelers well and to encourage more companies to tailor products and services to this burgeoning market. A new award category was introduced this year for travel companies who serve solo travelers exclusively. You can read about all of the winners and why the judges chose them here. The World Nomads Solo Travelers Choice Award, determined not by the judging panel, but by solo travelers themselves, was also created in 2018. We have created a resource page with information about all of the nominees and links to their websites for anyone looking to book a tour or cruise with a company that caters to solo travelers.
And all year long, day in and day out, I enjoyed interacting with the more than 235,000 members of the Solo Travel Society on Facebook. If you’re not already a member, come join us! Solo travelers around the world ask questions, offer advice and encouragement to one another, and I post articles and items of interest three times a day.
A lot of new content was created on Solo Traveler this year. We published three days a week: two posts by us, one by readers. (If you would like to contribute a post about a solo trip to a destination you enjoyed, you can submit your story and photos here.) I took a look at the statistics, first for 2018, then for the years of 2010-2018 combined, to compile top ten lists of our most-read articles, as decided by you. Here they are.
The Top Solo Travel Posts of 2018
These were the most-read new posts that were published on Solo Traveler in the last year.
- Alone at an All-Inclusive: 10 Tips for Going to a Resort Solo All-inclusive resorts are for solo travelers too! Use these tips to get the most of your resort vacation alone whether you want a bit of R&R or a lot of fun!
- Senior Solo Travel: Don’t Let a Number Hold You Back When it comes to senior solo travel, age should not prevent you from fulfilling your travel dreams. The Solo Travel Society offers advice and encouragement.
- Solo Travel Japan: 32 Tips You Need to Know 32 travel tips for first-timers to Japan. Tips to make your Japan trip easier including how to navigate the trains and metro, where to stay and what to eat.
- Solo Travel Destination: Italy A Solo Travel Society member shares the story of her life-changing, nine-month solo trip around Italy. Warning: her enthusiasm is infectious!
- Japan Solo: Trip Planning Resources, Itinerary and Budget Solo in Japan. Yes, that’s where I’m going and I’m excited. Here’s my trip planning process including my favorite resources, itinerary and budget.
- Solo Travel Over 50: Reasons, Benefits, Options & Safety Solo travel over 50. There are so many benefits. So many reasons to do so. And so many ways to travel solo safely. Here’s a Boomer’s perspective.
- Backpacking Solo: Your Complete Guide for a Great Budget Trip Backpacking solo is about the most exciting type of travel you can do. Here’s how to plan your trip, buy your backpack, pack it and more.
- Travel Solo and Talk to Strangers I think that talking to strangers is one of the most enjoyable aspects of traveling solo. Here are 5 tips to get the conversation going and keep it rolling.
- Top Tips for Stress-Free Solo Travel Solo travel is many wonderful things. But it can also be challenging and difficult at times. Here are some expert tips for stress-free solo travel.
- Solo Traveler on a Solos-Only Tour What’s it like to go solo on a solos-only tour? Here’s your answer with an overview of a fun and educational one-week trip to Sicily.
The Most Popular Solo Travel Posts of All Time
Taking into account all visits to the website since January 2010, these are the top 10 most-read articles on Solo Traveler.
- A Road Trip Alone: Top 10 Tips to Prepare Ah, the open road. Taking a long road trip is fun but doing so alone requires a bit of planning. Here are the tips you need to know.
- Bare Minimum Packing: Here’s Your Packing List Packing lists are the key to packing light. Most people have trouble with this but, in my opinion, it’s an important skill for the solo traveler. Here’s how to do it.
- 35+ Solo Travel Destinations for Christmas and New Year’s Wondering where to enjoy the holidays alone? Our readers and other sources recommend 35 solo travel destinations for Christmas and New Year’s.
- Best Budget Destinations for Solo Travelers I’ve scoured many lists of budget destination recommendations and come up with a shortlist of top destinations for safe, budget solo travel.
- Jet Lag – Worst Case Ever There’s jet lag and then there’s jet lag!
- Travel Alone and Love It: 50 Tips for Successful Solo Travel When you travel alone, you travel on your terms. Here are 50 of our best tips, plus links to additional resources to ensure solo travel success.
- Solo Travel to India: 32 Tips You Need to Know Let us help you to make the adventure of solo travel to India a little bit easier with this great set of tips.
- How to Travel Alone Without Being Lonely: 10 Tips & 12 Posts Here’s some great advice on how to travel alone without being lonely. How to meet people as you go whether it’s for a coffee, dinner, or more.
- Affordable New York City: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips Budget New York City? Yes, it is possible. Here are top tips for free and low-cost ways to enjoy this spectacular city and make New York affordable.
- Affordable London: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips Budget London tips for free, cheap, and unique things to do. Where to stay from budget to luxury to hipster. Where to eat, how to use the Tube, and more!
Resource Pages on Solo Traveler
In addition to the new posts that we publish each week, we have a number of resource pages that we add to over time. Each one is dedicated to a specific travel topic. Here are the 5 most popular pages from the last year.
- Solo Travel Tours: Best Deals for Solo Travelers As a service to our readers, we produce and update this list of solo travel tours, cruises, and other travel products with no or very low single supplements every month.
- Start Planning Your Solo Adventure Now! Solo Traveler is a massive resource of destination information, how-to tips, money advice and safety suggestions. We’ve helped over 4 million travelers get on their way.
- Solo Female Travel: Advice from Women Who Know Solo female travel can be a bit of a challenge if you’ve not done it before. That’s why we’ve put together this category specifically for women who want to travel alone. It’s designed to point you to the most relevant information for female solo travelers.
- Solo Travel Destinations Thanks to the enthusiasm of Solo Traveler readers, including members of the Solo Travel Society, we have over 200 posts on recommended solo travel destinations, each with photos and tips from a solo traveler who has been there.
- Solo Travel Accommodation Guide You’ll find 223 hotels, hostels, B&Bs, and apartments, all recommended by people who travel solo and all organized by country. From low budget to high-end, from rustic to luxurious, you’ll find suggestions for all styles of travel and all financial situations.
To see what readers were most interested in over the last couple of years, here are the posts that made the top 10 lists in 2016 and 2017.
Top 10 Solo Travel Posts of 2017
- Affordable New York City: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips
- VPN for Travel: What, Why and an Easy Setup Guide
- Bare Minimum Packing – Travel Gear!
- Affordable London Update! 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips
- Best Solo Road Trips for 2017: Solo Traveler Tested
- Solo Travel Destination: Prague, Czech Republic
- Solo Travel Safety: 10 Ways to Look Confident
- Affordable Paris: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips
- How to Sail Through an Airport by Yourself
- My Big Solo Travel Safety Mistake
Top 10 Solo Travel Posts of 2016
- The Hardest Part of Traveling Solo
- Destinations for Solo Travelers on a Budget: 2016 Shortlist
- How to Save Money for Travel
- Travel Alone and Love it: 50 tips
- Of Gobbins and Giants: Northern Ireland’s Causeway Coastal Route
- Checked Baggage: Top Planning and Packing Tips
- Solo Travel Destination: Washington, DC
- 12 Ways to Make Money as You Travel: Long and Short-term
- 10 Things I Love to Do When I Travel Solo
- VPN for Travel: What, Why and an Easy Setup Guide