It’s being called “the awful year that was.”
For many 2016 is a year to put behind us. We lost Leonard Cohen, Alan Richman, Prince and so many other shining lights.
Many readers live in countries that faced truly extraordinary voting dilemmas.
From the water in Flint, Michigan to the devastation in Aleppo and so much more, it’s been a terrible year.
And yet, we continue to live, love and travel.
How can that be?
Is it right?
Before pointing you to the top posts of this past year I want to point you to why travel may be more relevant now than ever in the past. Please read:
Top 10 Solo Travel Posts of 2016
- The Hardest Part of Traveling Solo
- Destinations for Solo Travelers on a Budget: 2016 Shortlist (we’re updating this post for 2017)
- How to Save Money for Travel
- Travel Alone and Love it: 50 tips (Revised and Updated)
- Of Gobbins and Giants: Northern Ireland’s Causeway Coastal Route
- Checked Baggage: Top Planning and Packing Tips
- Solo Travel Destination: Washington, DC
- 12 Ways to Make Money as You Travel: long and short-term
- 10 Things I Love to Do When I Travel Solo
- VPN for Travel: What, Why and an Easy Setup Guide
The Most Popular Solo Travel Posts of All Time
- Travel Alone Where & How
- Bare Minimum Packing
- Solo Travel Deals
- Affordable New York City: 32 Free and Low-Cost Tips
- Solo Travel Europe: 32+ Tips You Need To Know
- Affordable London! 32 free and low-cost tips
- How to Travel Alone Without Being Lonely: 10 tips & 5 posts
- A Road Trip Alone: be prepared with these 10 tips.
- Cheap Solo Travel – 21 posts to help you travel solo for less.
- Women Traveling Alone Part I – 10 tips
- 9 Tips for Those Who Struggle to Keep a Travel Journal
How to Find What You Want on Solo Traveler
- If you’re planning a trip make sure that you use our Trip Planning Resources page.
- If you’re looking for accommodation see our Solo Traveler Accommodation Guide which has been crowdsourced with recommendations from readers as well as some top bloggers we respect.
- If you’re in purchase mode for shoes, a jacket, books… check our our Gear & Books page for only products that we use and recommend.
- If you’re looking for a tour with no or a very low single supplement see our Deals page.
- Use the Search function on the right side of the green bar above. Plug in a word or two to find posts on that topic.
- Use the Destinations section of the blog. From that one page you can choose your country and find all the posts we have relating to it – posts written by Tracey and myself and posts written by other solo travelers.
- For our best advice on saving money for and while traveling see our Travel Money Tuesday series.
- Be recognized by other solo travelers with our unique yet subtle icon. See what’s available here.
- Like the Solo Travel Society on Facebook. Every day we share a post or two from the archives.