Now that 2020 has drawn to a close, I am looking back over what we delivered on Solo Traveler last year.
By any definition, it was a challenging year. Like many people, neither Janice nor I have been able to travel since March. Without travel experiences to share, we turned our efforts to updating tips posts, redesigning the look of the website, and writing posts specific to the times we are collectively living through.
In July, we launched the Solo Traveler Insiders on Patreon. For a small monthly fee, members receive invitations to a monthly Speaker Series, and a private Facebook group, as well as access to our library of video interviews with travel industry experts and extraordinary solo travelers. We share personal stories that don't make it onto the blog, give away free travel resources and host occasional virtual meet-ups which have given us a great opportunity to chat directly with readers. If you haven't already, please join us!
We ended the year with our Guess the Destination Giveaway. The winner hasn't been announced yet, but one lucky member of the Solo Traveler community will be going on the 8-day Rhine and Moselle River Cruise with Riviera River Cruises later this year.
And all year long, day in and day out, I enjoyed interacting with the more than a quarter million members of the Solo Travel Society on Facebook. Solo travelers around the world ask questions, offer advice and encouragement to one another, and I post articles and items of interest three times a day.
A lot of new content was created on Solo Traveler this year. We published two to three times a week: most of the posts were written by us, some were contributed by readers. In a normal year, we would have more posts written by members of the Solo Traveler community, but because travel was restricted for much of 2020, we received far fewer submissions. (If you would like to contribute a post about a solo trip to a destination you enjoyed, you can submit your story and photos here.) I took a look at the statistics, first for new content published in 2020, then articles published in the years of 2010-2020 combined, to compile top ten lists of our most-read articles, as decided by you. Here they are.
The Top Solo Travel Posts of 2020
These were the most-read new posts that were published for the first time on Solo Traveler in the last year.
- 16 Best Poems About Travel and Life
Here are 16 of the best poems about travel. Some raise questions, others share the joy of travel, and still others remind us not to take it for granted.
- Solo Female Travel Safety: Answering a Stranger’s Question-Or Not
The Solo Travel Society weighs in on solo female travel safety and what to do when asked the question, “Are you by yourself?”
- What to Do When You Can’t Travel
For those times when you can’t travel, and especially during the current crisis, here are ways to embrace the spirit of travel from home.
- Planning an Amtrak Trip on a Tight Budget: Solo Train Travel
How I planned my Amtrak trip on a tight budget. The criteria, process, stumbling blocks, and the big change of plan to get the trip I really wanted.
- Will I Ever Be Able to Travel Again? What Will it be Like?
I fell in love with travel decades ago. My only real obstacle was money. And then came the Coronavirus. So, what will travel be like now?
- El Camino de Santiago Solo: A Life-Altering Walk
A solo traveler shares her story of walking the Camino Frances route of El Camino de Santiago and what she learned over 800 km and 37 days.
- 50 Road Trip Songs: The Ultimate Solo Playlist
With input from readers and friends, along with my own favorites, here are 50 road trip songs to add to the soundtrack of your next solo journey.
- Solo Travel Bloopers: At Least They’re Funny Now
Travel doesn’t always go according to plan. Here are some of the solo travel bloopers Janice and I have experienced, the stories we tell our friends.
- Travel and COVID-19: A Missive from Morocco
A fabulous trip to Morocco and a return home full of questions given the circumstances around travel and COVID-19. It’s a saga.
- First Time Camping Solo: Basic Gear and Packing List
Your first time camping solo may seem complicated. Let’s simplify things. Here’s the basic gear you need plus a handy packing list.
The Most Popular Solo Travel Posts of All Time
Taking into account all visits to the website since January 2010, these are the top 10 most-read articles on Solo Traveler.
- A Road Trip Alone: Top 10 Tips to Prepare
Ah, the open road. Taking a long road trip is fun but doing so alone requires a bit of planning. Here are the tips you need to know.
- Best Budget Destinations for Solo Travelers: 2020 Shortlist
After reviewing many lists of budget destination recommendations, here is our shortlist of top destinations for solo travelers on a budget for 2020.
- Bare Minimum Packing: Here’s Your Packing List
Here’s your packing list for traveling light. From organizing your clothes to technology, gear, and medication, this is what you need to know.
- 45+ Solo Travel Destinations for Christmas and New Year’s
While you may be taking a nearcation this year, here are plenty of future solo travel destinations for Christmas and holidays to come.
- Travel Alone and Love It: 50 Tips for Successful Solo Travel
When you travel alone, you travel on your terms. Here are 50 of our best tips, plus links to additional resources to ensure solo travel success.
- Worst Jet Lag Ever – Symptoms, Remedies & Prevention
Jet lag can be a serious problem. Here are jet lag symptoms, remedies and tips for prevention plus over 100 comments from other travelers.
- How to Travel Alone Without Being Lonely: 10 Tips & 12 Posts
Worried you’ll be lonely traveling solo? Here’s some great advice on how to travel alone without being lonely and enjoy the social side of solo travel.
- Solo Travel to India: 32 Tips You Need to Know
Let us help you to make the adventure of solo travel to India a little bit easier with this great set of tips.
- At the Beach Solo – 20 Tips for You and Your Things
So what do you do with your stuff when you’re alone at the beach? How do you keep you and your things safe? Here are a few creative answers.
- Affordable New York City: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips
Budget New York City? Yes, it is possible. Here are top tips for free and low-cost ways to enjoy this spectacular city and make New York affordable.
Resource Pages on Solo Traveler
In addition to the new posts that we publish each week, we have a number of resource pages that we add to over time. Each one is dedicated to a specific travel topic. Here are the 5 most popular pages from the last year.
- Solo Female Travel: Advice from Women Who Know
Solo female travel can be a bit of a challenge if you've not done it before. That's why we've put together this category specifically for women who want to travel alone. It's designed to point you to the most relevant information for female solo travelers.
- Solo Travel Tours: Deals for Solo Travelers Updated Monthly
As a service to our readers, we produce and update this list of solo travel tours, cruises, and other travel products with no or very low single supplements every month.
- Solo Travel Statistics and Data
Since starting Solo Traveler in 2009, we have gathered an extensive amount of solo travel statistics and data as well as demographic and psychographic information on solo travelers.
- Solo Road Trips: Free-Wheeling As a Solo Traveler
Road trip tips, destinations, routes, even a playlist: in this category, we cover solo road trip planning and inspiration for everyone from first-timers to the highly experienced.
- Solo Traveler Insiders
The Solo Traveler Insiders on Patreon offers members more travel-related content, more opportunities to connect with fellow solo travelers, and more access to Janice and me through a membership program. Enjoy our monthly Speaker Series, Insider Insights, and more.
To see what readers were most interested in over the last few years, here are the most popular solo travel posts from 2017 – 2019.
Top 10 Posts of 2019
- Top 10 Films about Solo Travel
Here are the top 10 films about solo travel according to members of the Solo Travel Society. You’re sure to find something to inspire you here!
- Perspectives on Male Solo Travel
There’s not a lot out there specifically on male solo travel, so Tracey asked the men of the Solo Travel Society: What is your primary reason for traveling solo?
- How and Where to Travel to Avoid the Crowds
You want the best travel experience. You don’t want the crowds. Here’s a backgrounder on overtourism and how and where to travel to avoid the crowds.
- Learn a New Language the Easy Way for Richer Travel Experiences
After fits and starts learning French, Janice tried Babbel. 15 minutes a day over time really works. Here’s her experience.
- Solo Travel Destination: Copenhagen, Denmark
Three solo travelers, three different experiences in Copenhagen: one on a quick layover, one with more time to explore, one with 3 weeks to take it all in.
- Dublin, Cork & Galway: Exploring Ireland Solo
Tracey has never felt so welcome in any destination as she did while exploring Ireland. Here’s an overview of her trip to Dublin, Cork & Galway.
- River Cruise Tips for Solo Travelers
Here are the best river cruise tips from Tracey’s recent experience as well as advice from readers to help you make the most of your solo river cruise.
- Winter Solo Travel: Destinations, Planning, and Packing
Embrace winter. Enjoy the unique activities that cold weather offers. Whether it’s city or nature travel you live, here are your winter solo travel tips.
- The Ultimate List of Solo Travel Checklists
There are many decisions to make about a trip and this list of solo travel checklists is here to make sure that you don’t miss any.
- River Cruises for Solo Travelers: A Great Option to Consider
What’s so great about river cruises for solo travelers? From covering lots of ground to doing things your way to last-minute deals, here are 7 advantages.
Top 10 Posts of 2018
- Alone at an All-Inclusive: 10 Tips for Going to a Resort Solo
- Senior Solo Travel: Don’t Let a Number Hold You Back
- Solo Travel Japan: 32 Tips You Need to Know
- Solo Travel Destination: Italy
- Japan Solo: Trip Planning Resources, Itinerary and Budget
- Solo Travel Over 50: Reasons, Benefits, Options & Safety
- Backpacking Solo: Your Complete Guide for a Great Budget Trip
- Travel Solo and Talk to Strangers
- Top Tips for Stress-Free Solo Travel
- Solo Traveler on a Solos-Only Tour
Top 10 Posts of 2017
- Affordable New York City: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips
- VPN for Travel: What, Why and an Easy Setup Guide
- Bare Minimum Packing – Travel Gear!
- Affordable London Update! 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips
- Best Solo Road Trips for 2017: Solo Traveler Tested
- Solo Travel Destination: Prague, Czech Republic
- Solo Travel Safety: 10 Ways to Look Confident
- Affordable Paris: 32+ Free and Low-Cost Tips
- How to Sail Through an Airport by Yourself
- My Big Solo Travel Safety Mistake