I so love the Solo Travel Society on Facebook.
It's a vibrant community of enthusiastic travelers who are always ready to offer words of support to solo travel newbies, answer questions for those going to new destinations and share solo travel insights.
Not too long ago we asked: What does solo travel mean to you?
And in your replies I think we discovered many wonderful meanings of meaningful.
Here's what you had to say…
Solo Travel for Lifelong Learning
- Andrew – Learning new things about yourself, cultures, other people and the countries you visit
- Karen – Seeing places I've only ever heard or read about, and learning about other people and cultures firsthand.
- Jennifer – Too much to learn, too much to see.. It's always interesting to learn about new cultures and how locals in a foreign land live. And best of all, being a solo traveler I learn more, not only on other places but also about myself. That's meaningful.
- Nikoless – Surprises and awkward situations that turn out magical and educational.
Solo Travel to Enrich Life
- Bev – It's so exciting to set off on a new adventure, every trip is different and adds to your life experience.
- Lindalee – Learning to live in the present, let go of expectations.
- Leslie – No matter how much you plan, there is always something unexpected that happens or that you see that makes the experience so much more interesting and meaningful than planned. People wonder why I like to travel solo if no one else is with me to share the experience… I say it makes me a more interesting person because I come back with great stories to tell!
- Lee – It's a journey and raises our awareness of our surroundings.
- Kanthes – The feeling of gratification especially when meeting people who become friends.
- Barbara – Being gone! I'm a workaholic. Leaving my home gives me the liberty to not think about it. It's a practice of letting go.
Solo Travel to Put Life into Perspective
- Jessica – It gives me perspective and makes me realise there's a big world out there. Most of my problems seem unimportant when I'm travelling or planning a trip.
- Neeraj Ratnu – Solo travelling is magic in itself…..it simply makes me more alive…..and every on every trip I wonder “how can this place be so beautiful”.
- David – Gives me time to reflect on things away from my normal environment, to find new surroundings and find inner strength.
- Georgie – Independence, self-worth and self-value. I focus on the “real” world and how lucky I am to have grown up in one of the “lucky countries.”
Solo Travel to Know Your Own Strength
- Steve – A sense of accomplishment because I travel solo.
- Rob – It's not only the knowledge I've gained about other cultures but, as importantly, about myself. Traveling alone makes me realize I really can do anything!
- Maureen – Freedom, centering, expanding my mind, learning more about myself, growing as a person, adventure, so many things.
- Nikhar – Finding yourself.
Summing Up the Meaning of Meaningful
There were two comments that really stood out for me.
- Tuấn – meet new people, know new places. say a new “wow!”
Say a new “wow!” I love this expression. How great is it when your breath is taken away by the beauty of a landscape, the wonder of cultural dress, the taste of a cuisine – let's say “wow” a lot!
- If I Were You – Looking back on it later is oftentimes more meaningful than the trip as it is happens.
This is so true. The meaning of meaningful is often best seen after the fact.
Thank you all for your thoughts and contributions to this post.