Over the years, several hundred thousands people who travel alone have participated in the Solo Traveler Community in one way or another. They:
- Connect with others in the Solo Travel Society on Facebook
- Share experiences with others by contributing a destination post.
- Avail themselves of solo travel expertise in over 800 articles.
Most of the blog is relevant for solo travelers of all ages. But there are some that are more relevant to younger solo travelers. Here's a guide to the most popular posts for those in the 20s and 30s who travel solo.
The second group that most read Solo Traveler are 50+. If you land in that category, we have an article on benefits, options, destinations and safety for traveling solo over 50. It points to you to many more relevant articles as well.
Below are links to a variety of posts for everyone on everything from inspiration to money management. Enjoy.
Solo Travel Inspiration
All travel starts with inspiration. Whether it's a movie you've seen, a book you've read, or blog posts, such as those below full of recommendations for great destinations, inspiration is where solo travel starts.
- Where to Go? Great Destinations for First-Time Solo Travelers Destinations in North America and other parts of the world. All of them great for first timers.
- Best Budget Destinations: updated every January After reviewing many lists of budget destination recommendations, here is our shortlist of top destinations for solo travelers on a budget for 2020.
- Safe and Easy Hiking Destinations Here are nine safe and easy hiking destinations that I’ve enjoyed. They are all relatively easy hikes and I describe what's special about each briefly.
- Educational Travel: Learning Vacations for Solo Travelers Educational travel is on the rise. Many are planning learning vacations. Here’s how to find the right learning experiences in your dream destination.
- Best Solo Road Trips Looking for breathing space? A bit of freedom? A car and an open road will deliver. Here are the best solo road trips.
Planning a Great Solo Trip
- Solo Travel Planning Guide with Trends, a Checklist, and Insider Tips So you’re planning to travel alone. Here are the keys to great solo travel trip planning plus plenty of convenient resources.
- How to Plan a Road Trip: Route Planning, Scheduling & Budgeting Itching to hit the open road? Here’s how to plan a road trip well from budgeting to scheduling and especially route planning.
- How to Plan Your Travel Budget: Luxury or Frugal Travel budgeting made easy with 2 practical approaches followed by 8 steps and a free downloadable spreadsheet to create your personal solo travel budget.
- Backpacking Solo: How to Plan an Exhilarating & Safe Budget Trip Backpacking solo is about the most exciting type of travel you can do. Here’s how to plan and prepare for a sustainable trip.
Our Best Solo Travel Tips
For over 10 years now, we've been collecting tips from our own travels as well as from our readers. Members of the Solo Travel Society on Facebook are generous in sharing tips and advice in answer to specific questions from travelers and, sometimes, general questions from us, which we, in turn, share in our posts.
- he Ultimate Solo Travel Guide: Travel Alone & Love It When you travel alone, you travel on your terms. Here are 50 of our best tips, plus links to additional resources to ensure solo travel success.
- Eating Alone is Easy When You Know How Eating alone is one aspect of solo travel that some people really don’t like. Here are casual and elegant dining alone options.
- 1Best Accommodation for Solo Travelers: The Choice is Yours Given that it will be one of the biggest items in your travel budget, what is the best accommodation for solo travelers? Here are 8 options.
- Stress-Free Solo Travel: Advice from Experienced Travelers Solo travel is many wonderful things. But it can also be challenging and difficult at times. Here are some expert tips for stress-free solo travel.
- How to Travel Alone Without Being Lonely: 10 Tips &12 Posts Worried you’ll be lonely traveling solo? Here’s some great advice on how to travel alone without being lonely and enjoy the social side of solo travel.
- Bare Minimum Packing One of the most popular posts on the site. Packing lists are the key to packing light. Most people have trouble with this but, in my opinion, it's an important skill. Here's how to do it.
- Planning and Packing Tips for Checked Baggage Checked baggage is a completely different game than carry-on – and it’s about more than weight restriction. Here are tips to help you avoid problems.
- How to Get Through an Airport by Yourself Airports can be busy, confusing places. Here are some tips to help you get through security and to your gate fast.
Save Money For and As You Travel Solo
- How to Make Solo Travel Affordable, Cheap and Even Free Cheap solo travel tips to help you save on tours, accommodation, and experiences. It’s all about making solo travel affordable.
- How to Save Money for Travel: Smart Advice. Seven Steps. No wagging fingers here. Just smart advice on how to save for travel – for this trip and all the ones to come.
- Feeling the Pinch? Solo Travelers Save Money at The Airport Avoid blowing your budget before getting off the ground with these tips to help you save money at the airport.
- How to Save Money on Hotels and Other Travel Accommodation Here are our top tips to help you save money on hotels and other types of travel accommodation, whether luxury or budget, as you travel solo.
- Solo Travel London on a Budget: Top Tips for Free and Cheap London tips for free, cheap, and unique things to do when you travel solo. Where to stay, where to eat, how to use the Tube, and enjoy London on a budget.
- No Single Supplement: How to Find Trips without a Solo Penalty Single supplement waived – that’s what we're looking for. After all, who wants to pay for someone else when you’re traveling alone.
- Solo Travel: How to Save on Shoulder Season Travel You can always save a bit here and a bit there on travel. But you can really SAVE on shoulder season travel. Here are our top tips.
- VPN for Travel: What, Why and an Easy Setup Guide Protect your money, your identity, and your data as you travel. We explain what a VPN is, why you need it, show you how to set it up quickly and easily, and even give you a discount code so you can save!
And of course, don't forget The Destinations Category on this site. This is where you'll find posts on over 100 countries. Most have been written by readers. And use our Trip Planning Resources page too.
Travel Alone Safely
Safety is a significant concern for many solo travelers. This is why we have invested a lot of time writing on the topic. Here are our most popular posts on solo travel safety.
- Solo Travel Safety: 50+ Proven Tips to Keep You Safe Is solo travel safe? Yes, if you know how. Here are 50+ updated solo travel safety tips for planning and enjoying a great trip alone.
- Solo Female Travel Safety: Answering a Stranger’s Question-Or Not The Solo Travel Society weighs in on solo female travel safety and what to do when asked the question, “Are you by yourself?”
- Night Safety for Solo Travelers: 17 Tips Going out at night offers unique ways of experiencing your destination but it does require some special attention for safety. Here are 17 tips to keep you safe.
- Going Alone? Travel Insurance for Solo Travelers Here’s what solo travelers should look for in travel insurance including the one benefit that’s most important for those of us who travel alone.
- Solo Travel Confidence: How to be Strong, Capable and Safe. This post was inspired by a comment made by a reader: “safety is an inside job” she said. Yes, confidence is a traveler's armor. Here's how to appear confident even when you're not.