Whether you're leaving for your first solo trip or traveling solo for the fiftieth time, you'll find valuable information on Solo Traveler.
Solo Traveler is a massive resource of destination information, how-to tips, money advice, and safety suggestions for those who travel solo.
We've helped over 5 million people travel alone. To help you navigate Solo Traveler, here's a guide to our most popular resources, tips, and sections below.
Solo Travel Inspiration
All travel starts with inspiration. Whether it's a movie you've seen, a book you've read, or blog posts, such as those below full of recommendations for great destinations, inspiration is where solo travel starts.
- Top 10 Destinations for First Time Solo Travelers Five destinations in North America. Five destinations in other parts of the world. All of them great for first timers.
- Best Budget Destinations: the 2020 Shortlist After reviewing many lists of budget destination recommendations, here is our shortlist of top destinations for solo travelers on a budget for 2020.
- Safe and Easy Hiking Destinations Here are nine safe and easy hiking destinations that I’ve enjoyed. They are all relatively easy hikes and I describe what's special about each briefly.
- Educational Travel: Learning Vacations for Solo Travelers Educational travel is on the rise. Many are planning learning vacations. Here’s how to find the right learning experiences in your dream destination.
- Best Solo Road Trips Looking for breathing space? A bit of freedom? A car and an open road will deliver. Here are the best solo road trips.
- Best Solo Travel Experiences Each year, we publish stories and photos of the most memorable solo travel experiences of our readers. See what trips fellow travelers have loved.
Our Most Popular Posts on Solo Traveler
Planning a Great Solo Trip
- Solo Travel Planning: Detailed Guide for Planning a Solo Trip So you’re planning to travel alone. Here are the keys to great solo travel trip planning plus plenty of convenient resources.
- Planning an Amtrak Trip on a Tight Budget: Solo Train Travel How I planned my Amtrak trip on a tight budget. The criteria, process, stumbling blocks, and the big change of plan to get the trip I really wanted.
- Culinary Travel: Top Tips for Food and Wine Travel Planning A bit of research can really pay off for solo travelers who enjoy the culinary side of their trips. Here are my best tips for food and wine travel planning.
- Pre-Travel Stress Relief: 12 Tips to Leave Relaxed and Confident Pre-travel stress is normal. Not enjoyable, but normal. Here are 12 tips to help you turn that travel stress into travel excitement.
- How to Plan Your Solo Travel Budget – On Any Budget Travel budgeting made easy with 2 practical approaches followed by 8 steps and a free downloadable spreadsheet to create your personal solo travel budget.
Our Most Popular Categories on Solo Traveler
Our Best Solo Travel Tips
For over 10 years now, we've been collecting tips from our own travels as well as from our readers. Members of the Solo Travel Society on Facebook are generous in sharing tips and advice in answer to specific questions from travelers and, sometimes, general questions from us, which we, in turn, share in our posts.
- Travel Alone and Love it: 50 Tips for Successful Solo Travel When you travel alone, you travel on your terms. Here are 50 of our best tips, plus links to additional resources to ensure solo travel success.
- Eating Alone is Easy When You Know How Eating alone is one aspect of solo travel that some people really don’t like. Here are casual and elegant dining alone options.
- Our Best Advice: Top Tips from Janice & Tracey Janice and Tracey travel very differently. Here, we offer our best advice from our different perspectives.
- 10 Things I Love to Do When Traveling From safety to getting the most out of your trip, here are my top ten things to do when you travel solo.
- How to Travel Alone Without Being Lonely: 10 Tips &12 Posts Worried you’ll be lonely traveling solo? Here’s some great advice on how to travel alone without being lonely and enjoy the social side of solo travel.
- Bare Minimum Packing One of the most popular posts on the site. Packing lists are the key to packing light. Most people have trouble with this but, in my opinion, it's an important skill. Here's how to do it.
- Planning and Packing Tips for Checked Baggage Checked baggage is a completely different game than carry-on – and it’s about more than weight restriction. Here are tips to help you avoid problems.
More Popular Posts on Solo Traveler
Save Money For and As You Travel Solo
- Get the Single Supplement Waived: Good News! Single supplement waived – that’s what we're looking for. After all, who wants to pay for someone else when you’re traveling alone.
- Save Money on Travel: 32+ Tips Here are dozens of ways you can save on travel. Whether you seek luxury, adventure, creative, or budget travel, here’s how to save and travel more for less.
- Solo Travel: How to Save on Shoulder Season Travel You can always save a bit here and a bit there on travel. But you can really SAVE on shoulder season travel. Here are our top tips.
- Cheap Solo Travel: Your Guide to Money-Saving Advice Here’s a guide to over 20 posts on saving money for and while traveling solo. Go for it. Cheap solo travel means more solo travel.
- VPN for Travel: What, Why and an Easy Setup Guide Protect your money, your identity, and your data as you travel. We explain what a VPN is, why you need it, show you how to set it up quickly and easily, and even give you a discount code so you can save!
And of course, don't forget The Destinations Category on this site. This is where you'll find posts on over 100 countries. Most have been written by readers. And use our Trip Planning Resources page too.
And more popular posts!
Travel Alone Safely
Safety is a significant concern for many solo travelers. This is why we have invested a lot of time writing on the topic. Here are our most popular posts on solo travel safety.
- Solo Travel Safety: 50+ Tips for Those Who Travel Alone Is solo travel safe? Yes, if you know how. Here are 50+ solo travel safety tips for planning and enjoying a great trip alone.
- Solo Female Travel Safety: Answering a Stranger’s Question-Or Not The Solo Travel Society weighs in on solo female travel safety and what to do when asked the question, “Are you by yourself?”
- Night Safety for Solo Travelers: 17 Tips Going out at night offers unique ways of experiencing your destination but it does require some special attention for safety. Here are 17 tips to keep you safe.
- Going Alone? Travel Insurance for Solo Travelers Here’s what solo travelers should look for in travel insurance including the one benefit that’s most important for those of us who travel alone.
- Solo Travel Safety: 10 Ways to Look Confident. This post was inspired by a comment made by a reader: “safety is an inside job” she said. Yes, confidence is a traveler's armor. Here's how to appear confident even when you're not.