I'm often asked, by those who do not travel alone, if it is safe to travel solo.
Journalists ask me this as well. I typically do a couple of interviews every month and this is a question that often comes up. Yet, it is not the first question that people who travel solo, or even those who are embarking on their first trip, ask themselves.
The more common concerns are about eating alone and feeling lonely. Solo travel safety actually comes in third as a concern about solo travel. But it is a concern.
It's a good question. It's an important question. My answer is yes, it is safe. Read on to learn the many ways you can stay safe as you travel alone.
Is it Safe to Travel Solo? With Reasonable Precautions, Yes!
Travel comes with certain uncertainties.
Whether you're traveling alone, with a friend, or in a group, things can happen. So, while no one can guarantee your safety as a solo traveler, we can provide advice that will help keep you safe.
In fact, we can provide lots of advice.
We've written about solo travel safety many times and from many different angles. Below are some of our more popular posts on staying safe while traveling solo.
- 5 Principles of Solo Travel Safety Safety is a big issue when you travel solo. Here are some guidelines for traveling solo safely.
- Solo Travel Safety: 50+ Tips for Those Who Travel Alone While the post above gives you safety in broad strokes, this post gets into the nitty gritty of solo travel safety. There are many small tips to increase your safety.
- Find a Travel Partner: Safe Options and Some to Avoid There are safe and not quite so safe ways to find a travel partner. Here are my concerns, safety advice and suggestions for finding a travel companion.
- Tips for Safety: Solo Travel in Uncertain Times On occasion I hear from people who are fearful of travel. Here’s why it’s important to continue and safety tips to quell your travel concerns.
- How to Navigate a New City Solo Some solo travelers are afraid of getting lost. These tips on how to navigate a new city will reduce that possibility and improve your sense of direction.
- Solo Travel Mistakes and How to Avoid Them From a safety perspective, these 16 travel mistakes to avoid will help you in your travels.
- Night Safety for Solo Travelers: 17 Tips Going out at night offers unique ways of experiencing your destination but it does require some special attention for safety. Here are 17 tips to keep you safe.
- Solo Travel Safety: 12 Apps and 15 Tips Solo travelers take full responsibility for their own safety. You need these safety apps and safety tips to travel safe and be free to have fun.
- Solo Travel Safety: 10 Ways to Look Confident Confidence is a traveler’s armor. But, what if you’re not naturally so? Here’s how to look confident for solo travel safety.
- For Those Afraid of Traveling Alone And, finally, a little support addressing more of the specific concerns that first-time solo travelers raise.
Join our Facebook community, the Solo Travel Society to interact with solo travelers around the world, ask questions, and share advice about traveling alone safely and well.